Friday 26 August 2011

In the white room ....

Moroccan interior idea from source

From Woodstock handmade homes
Beautiful white interior with plenty of light : Leslie Williamson
tumblr

Rock and roll : bleedgold

Plenty of light in this loft apartment Prism of threads


old chum

I come from family that growing up were in love with wallpaper. Usually Laura ashley, William Morris and Sanderson prints. Not just in one room, but every room had its own print complete with matching curtains, trimmings, tie backs, cushions and bed covers. The wall paper was usually eccentric and opulent and suits my parents perfectly, they would not have been happy with magnolia.

For me though, living in rented accommodation for the last 12 years, I have come to long for white walls. My new house has a hideous feature wall in brown, that is made worse by the wardrobe shaped blue square on one side (soooooo Lazy!) that i will have to paint over. With white you can always spruce it up with Mexican throws, artwork, bookcases or cushions and the all important Houseplant. Even my parents are now starting to play it a little more "safe".

What do you guys think, are you confident with wallpaper or playing it safe with white?

xxx Gabi xxx




13 comments:

Georgia Rose said...

i love a white room because its 'a fresh start' - the blank canvas for all the textiles, pillows and bits&bobs collected over a lifetime that you're going to throw at it to make it come alive. but i also like 1 or 2 'mad' rooms,ideally the spare room or the downstairs loo - pattern wallpaper from head to toe with clashing pattern pillows, floral print curtains, rugs, quirky tiles, taps, mirrors and 'mad' everything! x x x

A Wild Thing said...

My walls have vintage wallpaper in kitchen and living room that I excavated from under 60's paneling, parlor has original plaster with no paint, 100 year old plaster, but my upstairs bedroom is screaming for silence and tranquility, it's a creamy yellow distressed to look very old, I love it, but white is calling my name...yup, it's gonna be white!

* said...

you have the best blog ever. I check it EVERY DAY...

I am an artist, so asked our landlord to paint the whole house white, which he did. I move my work around a lot, or replace once sold, so love to have a blank canvas if you get my drift. I love the light it brings and having brightly coloured art and furniture.

Could you offer to paint your new place white? I've done that in the past and greatly improved the crappy rentals we have lived in.

Lisa.
www.lisaalmondart.com

Unknown said...

I have definitely begun leaning towards white walls in the past year or so: less clutter, more sunlight, and everything looks so special against white.

Notes From ABroad said...

Oh that first image is so beautiful... makes me want to start painting everything white !

" In my white room with black curtains " ? :)

hippyatheart said...

I urgently need teak wooden funiture and some guitarres :D

Morgan said...

I like my regular living spaces to be den-like, rich and visually stimulating so I'm definitely leaning towards wallpaper/colored paints. But if I ever make it big and buy a vacation house on the beach.....everything will be white white white!

Anonymous said...

This is very much the feel I want in my apartment. I just moved in and I'm slowly trying to find pieces that reflect a space for meditation. Love the post!

Sal said...

White is for...other people! :) I like the *idea* of it...get really keen sometimes but in the end, no. My bedrom is oxblood red with gold stars, the kitchen is deep yolk yellow...maybe next year... heh heh

hippyatheart said...

hi again, thank you for your lovely comment! I agress, ebay is a great bargain source :D

Moth Rah said...

Sometimes I'll see a white room that I love but I tend to start feeling very anxious if I see too great an expanse of white! - My mind just wants to fill it up with patterns and make it expressive and me-ish. A white room generally feels naked to me.

ladonna said...

Hello, I love your blog. We would love to feature you on our new site. If you are interested please email me at ladonna@momblogsociety.com

Ches said...

You might be interested in this slide show from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/12/23/garden/20091224-IRAN_index.html