Sunday 21 January 2018

Herbalism: Natures Secret: Knowledge & Guidance Through Healing Plants' by Jennifer Divyajyota Michelsen

Natures Secret: Knowledge & Guidance Through Healing Plants by Jennifer Divyajyota Michelsen

I first saw Jennifer Divyajyota Michelson's beautiful book and cards 'Natures Secret: Knowledge & Guidance Through Healing Plants' on one of my favourite Instagram pages @littletreesgrow aka Erin Ashleigh (see Erin's house tour on moon to moon here) and they instantly caught my eye. Over the last couple of years I have began reading about herbalism and taking a few classes so was really excited to see a new text I hadn't yet discovered. I also love the idea of the cards, making it easier to focus on learning about the benefits of one plant at a time. They are also great for teaching children!!

Eager to learn more about these beautiful cards and accompanying book, I caught up with Author Jennifer Divyajyota Michelsen.....

Hi Jennifer thank you for taking time to talk to moon to moon

Can you tell us a little bit about your self and background?
I'm a yoga teacher in the Satyananda tradition (Bihar School of Yoga, India) and a qualified teacher of Permaculture and Sustainable Community Design. I've worked as coordinator of large organic gardens, studied and completed courses in organics, medicinal plants, and herbal medicine.

Natures Secret: Knowledge & Guidance Through Healing Plants' photo by @littletreesgrow
What led you to creating the series?
I was introduced to the idea of working with Nature Intelligence during a six-week organics class in 1997. Since that time I have worked "co-creatively" with Nature Intelligence in my design and implementation work as coordinator of organic gardens. I connect with Nature Intelligence and establish a conscious, active personal partnership with Nature through kinesiology. Through this work, the idea of the book evolved. I connected directly to Nature to get all the Insights/Lessons for the book.
Natures Secret: Knowledge & Guidance Through Healing Plants by Jennifer Divyajyota Michelsen
Can you tell us a bit about the cards and book and how they are to be used?
The book can be used to learn about 40+ medicinal plants, their history, myth and, most importantly their healing properties. The medicinal qualities of the plants can be utilised through a variety of herbal preparations, tinctures, decoctions, flower essences, essential oils and herbal teas. 
Each card has also been designed to provide insight and to aid in recognising an issue and facilitating its release or simply in using a particular plant for personal support. You can choose a card daily or whenever you need guidance and support. 
Natures Secret: Knowledge & Guidance Through Healing Plants by Jennifer Divyajyota Michelsen

The cards feature diverse plants from TCM , Ayurveda and wise woman traditions how did you choose what 40 plants you would print?
The project was huge so I started with one plant at a time. I worked with Nature Intelligence and listened to my heart in my choices. Lavender was the first plant that came to me. Each selection was through the same process. It took 10 years to complete and a great deal of research. Many of the Insights in the book embrace spiritual practices for personal growth and balance. Yoga, meditation, fire ceremony and other modalities can be used to strengthen the plants' healing abilities and assist in transforming, aligning and bringing balance.
Natures Secret: Knowledge & Guidance Through Healing Plants Photo by @newearth.mama

The set is currently 40 cards do you have plans for a follow up series?
I have a list of 40-50 more herbs to research although writing another book seems like an overwhelming task at the moment.
I've started a children's book. I have ideas and I'm in the process of taking 12X of the basic plants in the book and adapting them to children. Each plant will have an interactive project to go with it. 

Thank you so much Jennifer for taking the time to speak to moon to moon.... if you are interested in buying or finding out more about the book and cards you can visit Jennifers site natures creation or visit her on instagram

To read more Interviews on Moon to Moon click here

xx Gabi



No comments: