Tuesday 20 August 2013

Houseplants: The Chinese Money Plant

The Chinese Money plant aka Pilea Peperomioides
Chinese Money Plant

Pilea peperomioides

This odd little plant, native to Western China and brought to Europe by a Swedish Missionary in 1946, is  the Chinese Money plant, its latin name is Pilea Peperomioides.

The Chinese Money Plant is an ideal houseplant as it is pretty undemanding, fast growing and leafy all year round. Like the Maidenhair Fern in my last houseplant post, the Chinese Money Plant does not like direct sunlight and in fact shade will encourage larger leaves...

If you would like to know the history about these beautiful little plants you can read more here



8 comments:

Smillou said...

Wow, the plant looks very nice. I am thrilled and would now also :) I hope it brings happiness to their importance

Love XOXO Smillou

Carmen said...

Thank you sooooo much for posting about this plant!! I was going nuts when I saw this in the photos for the wonderful home of Wilbert because there was no mention of it's name. It's is so beautiful, I will definitely be adding one to my collection of house plants! Thanks again,

Carmen

ps i love your blog! Thanks for that too. :)

Kath said...

yes, that's the one! My brother said the plant he got the cutting from was huge. I love the photos of the full size ones. Mine is growing like mad now I repotted it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, looks like the pictures are from a swedish home :) great blog! greetings from sweden

melanie said...

Thank you! I too had been wondering the name of this plant!

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

I think I need one, or two, or .... of these! Minerva ~

winnie said...

I have one of these at home and I love it. I was wondering if anyone knows how to propagate them. Is it just through a simple leaf cutting? My only has one central stem and I don't want to cut the stem because I'm afraid I'll kill it.

Unknown said...

So, it can be grown on supports to give this tall look. 👌👍