Thursday 26 November 2015

Collection: Claire's Toy Caravans....


I come from a family of collectors. As a child it was a pretty much a weekly occurrence to visit antique or collectors fairs with my parents. I grew up with an appreciation of what it was 'to collect'.

I have been admiring Claire's beautiful home on Instagram for some time now and am planning to do a little tour and interview in the near future, but as soon as I saw Claires caravan collection i just had to find out more and share.

Claire was kind enough to answer some questions about her collection....


Claire Oster's Toy Caravan Collection


Hello! My name is Claire I'm 35 and I live in Strasbourg France with my Husband Simon, Son Lucas, Step-Son Colin, and our two cats Holly and Tom. I'm currently a stay at home Mum and I'm originally from London in the UK. I moved to Strasbourg to be with my now Husband who I met online. I've been here just over 6 years. Previous to that I spent 3.5 years living in Melbourne, Australia, so I've moved around quite a bit!
What made you start collecting caravans?
I first started collecting caravans just over a year ago, after noticing the collection of a fellow instagrammer (@junkshopvenus) which I really admired! I then spotted one at a charity shop and that was it! I've been searching them out ever since.
Did you holiday in caravans as a child so do they have a nostalgic value for you?
My grandparents had a caravan when I was very small, but I think for me, it’s just a nostalgia for anything in the past. I'm a bit obsessed with collecting anything from the 50's/60's/70's.
 
Do you have a caravan of your own?

No...But I really, really wish that I did!! Perhaps one day....
Where do you buy them from?
The majority of mine have been found at charity shops, Car boot sales, vide greniers ect, though I have found a couple on ebay, One was gifted to me from the Instagram friend whose collection I mentioned above, that kick-started me to begin collecting them myself, which was really lovely!
 Is there a wish list caravan?
Not especially, as instead of searching for particular models, I prefer to see what I come across when hunting charity shops and car boot sales. That said, I would really like some of the Dinky models that I don't have in my collection, which don't really turn up often in France. For me, the thrill is finding one 'in the wild' that I don't already have. Even if it’s the same, but in a different colourway to one already in my collection. Different colour - Different caravan!


What is the most you have paid for one?
I think the most I paid was £5 on Ebay, for one that I really wanted. But usually I pay between 50 cents and 3 euros. Mine is not an expensive collection!
Do you have any other collections?
Do I? Ha-ha! I have so many collections that it would take too long to list them all here ;)
Among other things, I collect West German plant pots, Vintage bride and groom wedding cake toppers, Kitsch Spanish holiday souvenirs from the 70's, vintage tights/stockings in their original packaging, anything tiny that I display in old print drawers, retro/vintage kitchen items, Anything religious, creepy vintage plastic squeak toys and basically anything vintage/kitsch/curious that catches my attention. Most of my collections have happened by accident, where I have found one of the items, loved it, and then spotted others out and about. Once I've found three of something, it’s officially a collection! All of my things have been found cheaply in charity shops or at car boot sales.

A massive thank you to fellow mama Claire, I know how precious time is when you have a little one xx

If any of you have a collection you would like to share please email me at moontomoon@live.co.uk

2 comments:

moonpoppy said...

How fun,I love the innocence of these little toy caravans.

In a world that's full of crazy and scary things right now it is nice to see something that makes me smile.

Thank you <3

Moon to Moon said...

I totally agree. They are fun in a world of craziness :)