Monday 2 May 2016

Map Quilts by Mary Bryning

Mary Bryning Quilted Map: Ullswater

I recently got mentioned in an online article about Moon to Moon as a blogger and mother from California...... well the majority of my readerships are US based and I love the whole Californian aesthetic but I don't live there. Originally from Brighton, England, I now live in Bristol, England. So, I thought it was about time I featured a little more art, textiles and properties from here in the UK. I recently found these stunning map quilts by Bristish artist Mary Bryning so thought these were the perfect place to start....
 
 Mary combines her love of textiles and embroidery with an interest in maps and the effect human settlement has on the landscape. Her work explores the patterns of geography and cartography using hand-dyed or printed fabric, recycled maps, appliqué and machine embroidery, producing images of familiar and well-loved places from unfamiliar viewpoints. She also creates work based on natural forms on the coast, in the countryside and in gardens.

View more of her work on her website (which she shares with her artist husband Ken) Bryning Art

Sefton park
Grasmere and Rydal
Birkenhead Park

1 comment:

AiyanaKalyna said...

I love the map quilts. So beautiful! I live in the USA I know you live in England. :)