Sunday 26 October 2014

My Nest: Megan Starr







Vintage Indian Gauze dress Collection




Welcome to the new 'My Nest' feature here on Moon to Moon. The aim of the new 'My Nest' feature is to get a glimpse into real life readers homes. That means no stylists re-arranging furniture and adding props, and no fancy photographers with light meters.... All photographs are by the owner ensuring all the 'nests' are the homes as they really are, lived in and perfectly imperfect, dirty dishes and all. . Alongside the photos there is also a set of 10 questions to get a bit of juicy background on the property and the family.

So to Kick off the 'My Nest' feature I am really proud to introduce the rather glorious Alaskan home of Megan Starr and Family aka @Ramblinstarr on Instagram. I for one am smitten with this beautiful eclectic home, and was really thrilled Megan agreed to take part... So over to Megan...

1) Where do you live and what do you do for a living?
I live in Anchorage Alaska and I am currently a stay at home mom.


2) What attracted you to your current home
This is actually the home that my family used to live in, they were here for almost a decade and now that they're all moving out and elsewhere my husband and I are buying it. I love that we've been coming to this house since before our children were even born so it feels extremely natural for us to now live here. Some of my favorite things are the vaulted ceilings, the massive amount of natural light thanks to all the windows, the gorgeous pale lavender the whole interior is painted and how big the place feels. We lived in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment before this so having all this space is such an awesome thing. 

3) how long have you lived there/ will you live there
We've been here for almost a year now and fully plan on spending the rest of our lives in this home. After moving around and living in apartments for the last 14 years I'm so excited to put down roots. 

4) what is your favorite/ most treasured item.
My vintage 1970's 'I Want Peace' Uncle Sam poster that my husband gave me for Christmas a few years back, I really love it. 


5) where do you buy most of your furnishings and accessories 
Almost everything we own has been bought at the thrift stores or through craigslist. Every once in awhile I'll find something on Etsy that catches my eye though! I really dig that we've been able to fill our home by slowly finding things we love and fitting them all together.

6) how would you describe your style. 
I would describe it as retro bohemian hippie probably. 

7) what/who inspires your home style / decision making when buying a new piece.
I'm so inspired by old 70s homes, overgrown plants all over, some mid century modern, Moroccan influences and a bit of Americana. Since I pretty much only shop secondhand it's always just a gut feeling and how thrilled I am to have found something, oh and of course the price! With a mortgage and three kids I like to spend as little as possible when it comes to decor, I'm all about being thrifty!

8) what/ where would be your dream home?
Honestly I think my home is! I'm having the time of my life turning this place into exactly what I've always dreamed of calling my home. Some places that I've always obsessed over though would be Barbara Hulanicki's studio, the house from Practical Magic, Erin Wasson's home and definitely the Eames house.

9) what was the last item you bought?
I found a gorgeous peacock chair for super cheap on Craigslist last week, so stoked! I'm thinking that it will look great in my daughters' room.

10 ) any wish list items?
 I've been on the hunt for a Moroccan leather pouf, a vintage Letterman triptych painting and a macrame curtain panel for the staircase that leads to the bedrooms upstairs.

I would like to say a massive thank you to the Lovely Megan for the beautiful photographs and taking the time to answer the questions. I am totally inspired by her beautiful Nest... and am wearing my Indian Gauze dress today :)
 
If you are interested in taking part please tag me on Instagram and send me an email...

10 comments:

Polina K. said...

Oh my God this is amazing! IT's a dream home, can't believe it actually exists and someone is lucky enough to be living there :)

I also love the idea of your new feature! Can't wait to see more. I've been following your blog for a couple of years now and everything you post is great. Always makes me smile!

xx Poli, Web desginer and Blogger

Meg said...

This reminds me of my own childhood home and being a young child. What a cosy space Megan and her family have made. Definitely resonates in my soul! Lovely new feature to the blog Gabi. I am such a fan of your blog and My Nest is an absolutely wonderful addition. Nice work!

Shawna McComber said...

Fantastic! I love this home and I too could just move in! I love this idea for a new series of blog posts.

Natalia Lialina said...

Wonderful home! Really cozy, livable, filled with light and with love - all those plants and collections on the walls, the colors are so warm and homey. Great place to call your home! It would be interesting to see readers' homes as they are, glad that you are doing this!

Lozza said...

Beautiful! I wish there was enough light in my townhouse to grow that many plants. And the natural stump holding the big glass ball vase one the coffee table is stunning!

Vicki K said...

I follow Megan on Instagram, and so I was thrilled to see her place here! She has such a beautiful, warm home- I'm envious of her talent of putting things together that she finds.

Rachel said...

This is not a house, it is a home !!!
I love the details: floors, carpets, chandeliers ....

Steph said...

I LOVE this home, would love to know what type of plant is in front of the peacock chair, looks like coleus??

Unknown said...

My god this is absolutely beautiful! I would never get bored living in this gorgeous home!

Drea xo
dreasjunkyard.blogspot.co.uk

Sensei Aishitemasu said...

I love this. Exactly my aesthetic.