Tuesday 22 July 2014

3 Summer Plant Ideas....

Being on maternity and breastfeeding constantly (very hungry baby) has given me the chance to browse the web on my ipad a lot this last 7 weeks. As regular readers will know I am a total house plant addict although I rarely try anything interesting with my plants.

Whilst browsing I have been collecting loads of Images of houseplants and this morning came across this article about summer plant ideas and I thought I would try my hand at something different, so inspired by the http://frommoontomoon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/because-matching-bedlinen-is-just-like.htmlarticle I have put together my own 3 Summer Plant Ideas...

1) Succulents in Trays

Summer plant Ideas: Succulent display

Summer Plant ideas: Succulent tray

I really love the idea of putting a number of succulents together in a tray. The wonderful about succulents is not only are they great for novice houseplant gardeners, as they extremely hard to kill, but they come in a great range of shapes and textures making them perfect for grouping together.... the big squishy ones look great next to a spikey dude :)

2) Getting Creative with Planters

Mirror Ball planter
Succulent in a Timer , via Justina Blakeney
Houseplant in a seashell
I spend a lot of time looking through charity shops and thrift stores looking for beautiful ceramic planters but never think about using objects I already have. A good friend's mum from college had a beautiful house plant growing out of a beautiful African Drum, which I always thought was really cool and i love the idea of using found objects or pre-loved items to re-purpose as planters. The mirror ball idea is one I really like as positioned in an open window on a windy day would produce some crazy-ass reflections!!

3) Pots with faces
Perfect for introducing kids to plants: Wolf planter from etsy

Skull planters
Houseplant collection with a Stella Atelier face planter


Whether they are grouped together or you have one rouge smiling planter amongst your pots, these pots will bring a sense of fun to your house plant collection.... but be warned they are addictive ( I now have 4 Stella Atelier pots... whoops).

Animal planters are also a perfect way to get kids excited about house plants.... remember Mr Grasshead?.... I thought he was so cool...

What do you guys think?
To see the original article this post was inspired by visit The Joy Of Plants here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

credit Chaparral Studio
http://chaparralstudio.bigcartel.com/product/disco-ball-planter
for disco ball planter :)

Rubye Jack said...

I love succulents but am one for a plain pot so that you only notice the plant.

vermilion said...

I love Your blog and succulents too!!!;)
http://mieszkalnie.blogspot.com

Inez said...

I love houseplants, especially succulents. Great inspiration here! Thank you so much for new ideas :-)

Inez

moonpoppy said...

I <3 houseplants.And the more ideas about where to put them,the better :)

My Grama's Soul said...

I have quite a few succulents since I live in hot AZ.....but beware you can kill them easily.....with too much water. I call that "killing with kindness". LOL

xo

Jo

Indy said...

Just found your blog and I love it! :)

Love those cute little succulents!

losdias said...

succulents!! yeah!

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

Beautiful! I was stunned to see the stack of vintage books about plants. I believe that some, if not all, were written by a friend of my parents. I used to have several in my library, but sadly they're gone now. I might have to find them on Ebay.

Unknown said...

Lovely. I am so inspired to get a few for my place now. :)