Tuesday 6 January 2015

Food for Thought : Buddha bowls

Autumn Bounty Bowl
Super food Bowls via The Vintage Mixer
Chickpea and Crispy Polenta Bowl via Half Baked Harvest
The Big Vegan Bowl via Oh She Glows

Rice Noodle Bowl

My new years resolution was to try Veganism for a month. I made this decision for many reasons, one being I always seem to eat the same foods and I think it is about time I got more adventurous. Although there are hundreds of wonderful recipes out there sometimes I just want to use up what is in my cupboards but cant think of how to throw it all together to ensure i have a balanced meal....

One solution is the Buddha Bowl, a dish I keep seeing on Pinterest and food blogs . A bowl full of a yummy nutritionally balanced foods.... Usually containing , quinoa, chickpeas, butternut squash or sweet potato and avocado..... Heaven!!!

If you fancy giving it a go.... here are the Basics of making a Buddha bowl.... enjoy!!

.1) Starch:
Roasted sweet potato cubes; Cooked quinoa, buckwheat, millet, rice, amaranth, barley, couscous, etc…; Cooked or raw corn kernels; Roasted white potato slices; Cooked winter squash, noodles or pasta

2.  Protein:
Cooked beans or lentils; Cooked tofu, tempeh or seitan; Peas; Edamame; Leftover Chili; Cooked, crumbled or sliced veggie burgers or cutlets

3.  Extras:
Any nut or seed; Grated coconut; Apple slices; Raisins or dried cranberries; A sprinkle of granola; Olives; Sun-dried tomatoes; Nutritional Yeast; Roasted Red Peppers; Pickles

4.  Veggies
(cooked, or raw, or a combo of both): Lettuce, Kale, Spinach, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Mushrooms, Carrots, Zucchini, Peppers, Onions, Sprouts…

5.  Dressings:
Tahina + Apple Cider Vinegar + Stevia + Paprika
Tahina + Lemon + Garlic + Water
Peanut Sauce (peanut butter, vinegar or lime, maple syrup, soy sauce, water)
Salsa + Hummus
Olive Oil + Lemon Juice or Balsamic Vinegar

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

I can't believe how appealing these are to me - at so many levels! (Don't know how I haven't heard of Buddha bowls before....)

moonpoppy said...

I'love to try these dishes!

lisa cole said...

i just got online to try and find some macrobiotic bowl combination ideas, so thanks for this!

(also, i post photos on my instagram of vegan food/recipes, :) @hungryrightmeow)

Anonymous said...

Kudos on wanting to be kinder to the earth and live a healthier life. As you so rightly point out, it isn't hard to be vegan, you just have to think about it and how you cook for a bit till you get in the habit of rearranging the ingredients on your plate and working out how to use a few new ones. I have been vegan for about 15 years now and remember how difficult it was for the first month. After that you just get into the habit of cooking with more vegetables and veggie ingredients and once you are there, you find you miss your "regular" ingredients less. I love your site. It's my little patch of Bohemian bliss on the net :)

freefaller said...

I love the idea, Thanks.

Kath said...

OOh delicious! I love a mixed bowl. One of my regualr favourites is noodles, tofuand spinach (all warm) topped with toasted sesame seeds.

acyhoz said...

ohh I didn't know that these bowls are called buddha bowls. Soo coool and pretty ^^ I love the design and I'll definitely have that for my own house hehe

Natalia said...

They look great! Love your pictures!

Meg said...

Ashleyneese.com is a great source for veggie and vegan foods and a great site. I highly recommend, Ashley is a wealth of info and insight into nutrition and living well. Happy New Year Gabi!

Melissa said...

Congrats on trying the whole vegan thing!! It's so rewarding! I really love these bowls, but I don't make them nearly as often as I should, which is a shame.

Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love Budda bowls, especially when they are all raw! My husband and i live in Sligo, Ireland,we've Just started our own market with raw italian recipes! Check out our website rawitaliancuisine.com this diet is really the best you can give to your body! Xxx Erika