Sunday 8 July 2012

Taylor camp...

Taylor Camp, a tree house village on Kauai: Diane's House  

Taylor camp: John and Marie

Taylor Camp: Diane in her kitchen

Taylor camp: Paulo Sharon and Roberto

Taylor camp: Frank Zappa on the loo

Taylor camp: Dana, Karma big house

Taylor camp: Debi in the Kitchen

Taylor camp: Diane and Richie

Taylor camp: Diane upstairs at Richies
Taylor camp: Alpin at the door

I  found out about Taylor Camp a few weeks ago via Prism of Threads blog and have been reading about it ever since.

"Taylor Camp was born in the spring of 1969 when artist / oceanographer Howard Taylor (brother of actress Elizabeth) bailed out of jail a rag-tag band of young mainlanders arrested for vagrancy and invited them to live on his land; thus setting off immigrating waves of hippies, surfers, seekers and psychologically scarred Vietnam vets to Kauai’s North Shore.
Condemned by the State in 1977, government workers torched the camp before the last resident moved out, leaving behind ashes and magical memories of “the best days of our lives”.


All Images and text from Taylor camp Kauai....

9 comments:

Boho Mixology said...

Im in love, that place is amazing! What i would do to live there.

Zoe xx

aroluna said...

Gaby, I just got transported to my early twenties, long time ago :))

helen tilston said...

What a place?

It could not survive I suppose

Helen

aroluna said...

also, Gabi, thank you for bringing this up, it stirred up emotions...

Unknown said...

amazing place.. awesome photos.. I've never heard of Taylor Camp and now I'm all curious.. I'm gonna read more about it..
thanks for sharing..cool blog!

Laura {Gypsea Tree} said...

Very interesting! I had not heard of this place either. I recently read Arcadia by Lauren Groff and would highly recommend it. A beautiful, often heart-breaking story of the (fictional) rise and fall of an upstate NY hippie commune. Sound a lot like this one and I would imagine many many others...

⟁ Prism Of Threads ⟁ said...

You would love the book! So many amazing photographs! x

Linda said...

That is horrible that they torched that place!!! What a great find...I have been reading more about communes lately to do a post...now another one to add to my list... Thanks for sharing this..:)

jeremy said...

Looks like the 60's era.

new york retirement community