Friday 6 July 2012

Tiny Homes, Simple Shelter....

Tiny Homes, Simple shelter:


Tiny Homes, Simple Shelter: Builder SunRay Kelley built this
"man cave" for a family in Middleton, California 






I recently found out that England has the smallest houses in the 'western' world, which having seen the tiny 'Barrett Homes' that are going up all over the UK, I wasn't surprised. Sadly unlike the houses above, not only are they tiny but of really poor quality and squished so closely together. These new homes are made with crappy materials, have paper thin walls and are popping up on greenbelt land across the country... they make me really angry!

When I saw Lloyd Kahn's recent book , Tiny Homes, Simple shelter it got me thinking, am I annoyed that these British Homes are tiny, or is it just that they are poorly made by companies out to make a quick buck?

The area I live in has loads of beautiful Victorian and Georgian homes and it is so clear to see that even the more modest of them have been built with love and pride. They have been finished with pretty tiles, and stained glass....... and even a front garden!!

The Houses in Tiny Homes Simple Shelter are all under 500 sq.ft. they may be tiny, but they have been made with Love and been well crafted, and the results reflect the warmth and passion that has gone into them. Even a horder like me would love to live in that middle one :)



12 comments:

Amy said...

I love love love tiny homes. I too have a bit of a collecting problem, which i am resolving, but its a problem for living in a small home none the less. ONE DAY I SAY!!

Kath said...

ooh me too, I love that ceiling. Imagine going off to sleep at night looking up at that divine swirl.
Did you ever see that wooden house built in Wales, I must see if I can find it.
Hey you'll never guess what I bought today in the charity shop here in Gaston, a peacock chair for £25!!

Chloe grice said...

Speaking as someone who lives in a very green part of England, I sadly have to completely agree with everything you say: not only are the Barrett homes tiny and built quickly out of inferior materials with no aesthetic values whatsoever, unfortunately few young families can afford to buy better, so there is little or no alternative if people want to own a house.

Why anyone would want to spend their life in debt for a naff shoebox beats me anyway. There are alternatives if people have a little imagination ;-)

Chloe grice said...

Ooh Kath you must mean the hobbit house (Simondale dot net) - unbelievably he built it for £3,000...

Pixie said...

I live in a tiny home, not quite as tiny as the ones here, but not far off, mine is a bit like living in a tree house.
Pixie

Miri boheme said...

I've always loved small spaces. They make me feel cozy and safe. I would just LOVE to have a little home like the ones you picture here. So beautiful!

Linda said...

Love these Tiny Homes...they just keep getting more unique!! These are great pictures...:)

Anthropomorphica said...

I can understand why houses in Britain are the smallest, it's a densely populated island. But, a house as merely a place to store your belongings is sad indeed, when it could a home for your soul to dwell and dream in.
I love these little homes.
The Barrett boxes are nothing more than people storage!

Unknown said...

Wow. even though it is the smallest they also make sure that they can make a history.
Vinyl flooring perth

Unknown said...

Wow. even though it is the smallest they also make sure that they can make a history.
Vinyl flooring perth

Zumi said...

Wow! My pleasure to visit your post. This tiny houses looks incredible and very unique, impressive as well. Congratulations to the architect and for the blogger :).

Charles A. Carroll said...

HOW DO I GET ONE?