Sunday 21 May 2017

Perfectly imperfect: The Kitchen Table



Light wood table with mismatched chairs

To me a good table is one you can read like a good book. Unevenly worn and smoother in places and showing the chapters of a lifetimes use. Coffee rings, curry stains, red wine splashes, crayon wax and pet scratches all ingrained in the wood reminding us of a time when....

 To begin your story you don't even have to spend a lot of money to find a decent one. They are often on craiglist, ebay or found in thrift stores and in fact ours was a lucky find from an alley when we were still students. It was covered with a lifetime of other families memories (and a nasty dark wood stain) so a simple sanding down refreshed and lightened the table and gave us a blank canvas in which to start our own memories. We already have a great collection of marks and bashes including a wonderful blue stained bit that will always make me smile (from a paint explosion that had my 2 year old and me in hysterics for a good 20 mins).

For this reason I could never buy a new table, one that had to be kept in perfect condition and religiously varnished/oiled/waxed. My table has sentimental value (yes I am a Taurean) and I look forward to many more meals sharing stories and laughter with friends and family, seeing my son complete his homework at it and even just sitting at it having a cup of tea on my own.  It is also why it is always dressed with fresh flowers.... the kitchen table is the heart of the home and deserves a little TLC.



Country kitchen table
All images not Sourced from my Pinterest page here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this decor. The colors are just amazing! xoxo Yvon

Esperansa said...

Thank you for posting the interiors you do....makes me realize all over again that my decor does not need to be brand spanking new or "trendy" to be beautiful. I live in my childhood home, along with all the vintage (old?) items that my mom and dad collected over their 50 years of a life together. Thank you for reminding me that everything in there is beautiful...just takes creativity.