Sunday 13 December 2020

Molly Weasley and The Burrow


 "The walls were decorated with artwork drawn by children of the
 art department crew, and the prevailing color palette reflected 
the ginger-topped Weasleys' obvious favorite colors: red and orange."


My son is just 6, and although I really wanted to read the books with him first, my excitement ran away with me one rainy lockdown day a few weeks ago, and we started watching the Harry Potter films.

A few days later a friend asked me what character from a film I found I resonated with and why...... and to my surprise confidently poppoing up from my unconscious was the answer "Molly Weasley"!


The why part of the question started with the thought that she lived in 'The Burrow', probably my  true dream home. A home build on love........ cooked-from-scratch family meals, shabby old chairs covered in knitted throws, mis-matched crockery, wonky stairs, thread bare carpets covered with rugs, book shelves with the books squashed back in any free space... and then I recognised that actually this house and person resembled my own..... I even have a long haired ginger son.

 “We wanted everything - from the furniture through to the
 crockery on the kitchen table - to look as if it had been bought
 in second-hand shops, picked up at swap meets, or rescued from curbs.” - Stephenie McMillan




Its funny how through re-visiting films and books we notice the passing of time and the change in us. We are not the same person as we were first time around. I always thought of myself as Ginni Weasley in the past.....










8 comments:

jm said...

You're back!!! And with a wonderful post about the Weasley burrow! I've been enjoying sifting slowly through your blog over the past few months to help get me through this terrible time. What a delight it has been -- thank you!

Elderberry-Rob said...

So glad you're back have missed your posts - I have always loved everything Harry Potter, my favourite place to shop would be Diagon Alley - Brighton Lanes capture it to some extent ... but the Weasley house, now that is my kind of house! you captured the essence of it so well - don't worry about reading the books first I found my boys enjoyed the books after the films and probably would never had read them if they hadn't seen the films first and of course played all the xbox games!

Rebecca said...

Haven't read them; haven't seen them, but these photos and descriptions fill my hour with SO much pleasure! Yes! Welcome back.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for all your inspiring posts. I'm enjoying catching up with all of your older posts. You make me appreciate the reality of my life and see how unrealistic all those picture perfect magazine homes are! It's so nice to have you back!!

Cindy said...

Welcome back! ! I’ve loved your blog so much and am happy to see a post about The Burrow, which is the nickname of my rustic adobe and wood cabin in New Mexico. I’m not the homemaker Molly Weasley is, but this hand built place is definitely held together with love and magic. All the best, hope you can continue posting!

Bathwater said...

I think Ginnie Weasely will grow into a Molly Weasely, and that is not a bad thing.

Katrina said...

I just want to live in the Burrow, it's my dream home!
Just discovered your blog, it's lovely!!!

Katrina said...

This is so beautiful! I've always loved The Burrow. If I can't age into Granny Weatherwax, I'll aim for Molly Weasley!