Thursday 14 January 2010

Dhal


I was off work today as I slipped in the snow and hurt my knee. When you are feeling sorry for your self there is nothing nicer than a spicy bowl of Dhal and a Japati. Here is a great recipe

Ingredients (serves 4)
1 cup (300g) red lentils, rinsed well
3cm fresh ginger, grated
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbs (40g) butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garam marsala
1 green chilli chopped
2 tbs lemon juice
pinch of salt
Chopped coriander leaves
Japati, to serve

Method
Place lentils, ginger, bay leaves and cinnamon in a large saucepan with 3 cups of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring to prevent sticking for 10-12 minutes. Discard spices and set aside.
Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, garam marsala and chilli flakes and cook for a further minute or until fragrant. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
Add the lentils to the pan and mix well. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in coriander and serve hot with naan bread or pappadums.

2 comments:

Notes From ABroad said...

I am not sure I would be able to make my own but I do agree that there is nothing like a bowl of Dal and some rice and a parantha or two.
Good luck was with us, there is at least one excellent Indian restaurant in Buenos Aires !

mydeco said...

Thanks for posting this! There's nothing like my mom's daal!