Sunday 15 November 2015

My Afternoon Designing at Christies Auction House....


A month or so ago I got an email that left me speechless for about an hour... an invitation to be one of 4 Interior Bloggers to Design a space at Christies Auction House in South Kensington. The brief was to create a room using items from their November catalogue...

This was a total dream come true for me. As kids me and my sister would look though catalogues and choose outfits and furniture we would buy when we were older..... only this time i actually got to play....

With such an open brief I decided to create a room for me. I wanted to make it feel like somewhere friends and family would be happy to sit and relax and chat, that my son could play and that after a day at work I would be happy to kick off my shoes and unwind. Nothing was to be perfect.... just homely.

So I started with the most comfortable looking sofa in the catalogue, a tan Mid-century Percival Lafer. Not only was this chair really quirky looking, it was so unbelievably comfortable, It was slightly worn in places and this just added to its charm.

Photo by Carol Sachs

Then I added a nice big low level coffee table that I could happily sit crossed legged at to eat some food, do some colouring in with Alex at, or use as a meditation altar. On the table i arranged a tray with some personal items from home including my chunk of Amethyst I had brought from Glastonbury, and some Nag Champa incense.



A huge beast of a bamboo plant was borrowed from Christies Reception area. The bamboo was probably the most important element to making this room feel cosy. As soon as I saw the plant in the room I felt a lot more relaxed about the project. I also loved the way the plant worked with the sofa.
 
I chose the Dutch Jungmann painting because i lived in Holland as a child and just loved that wonderful bright blue. Looking back this is the item that I wish i could take home. ..... I have even considered a bank loan :)


Of course it wouldn't be fair to exclude my sister from playing the game this time so emailed Lizzy the catalogue to see what items she would choose and used a couple in the room....... this was a really important part of making the room feel more personal, and it was nice to be reminded of her and feel her support, when in such an alien environment. As we look around out own homes we are reminded of the people in our lives or the places we have been to collect the items that really make up 'Home' .



I am so pleased with how this room turned out. I had such a wonderful day. I have also left with a new view of Christies. I have to be honest I have always regarded it as a little stuffy but it was anything but!

The only element that I would probably change is the larger of the paintings. I love the colours and the ruined building but this painting was a last minute choice as the two African pictures I had chosen could not be hung.

Mid-century sofa's, Moroccan Lamps, funky Indian cushions...... and the nicest team of people from the Receptionist to the Chairman.


 A big thank you to Christie's, South Kensington, especially Katy who organized the day. What a wonderful opportunity xx

So what do you guys think? I would love to know?

Please check out the full article (and my slightly rambling interview) on the Christies Website. It is so interesting to see how different each of the 4 rooms turned out considering we were using items from the same catalogue!

14 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

i have been following your blog for a while and find so much inspiration; your room scene is beautiful, it looks like you could step right in and get comfy! I love the sofa and cushions they are absolutely the focus of the whole setting. the art work looks like it 'belongs' and the room looks very relaxed, informal but sumptuous and not at all contrived, congratulations on being invited to do such a prestigious commission. Betty

Meg said...

Adore! What an incredible opportunity and addition to your CV! Well done. This is beautiful.

Simple Living Los Angeles said...

Beautiful job! All the elements of comfort and style.

Unknown said...

Beautiful job.

PinkPanthress said...

I have to say, that your room is the best of them all... (except maybe for the japanese fold in the last room) ;)

Very inspiring and beautiful! :)

moonpoppy said...

I love what you did,would feel right at home in your room :)

Nice to know you lived in Holland when you where a child,I'm Dutch myself :)

megan said...

I was curious to see how you would incorporate your style into the room--I think you did a wonderful job. I love the furniture that you chose. The way that you combined the pieces is very homey and comfortable, but still beautiful and classic.

freefaller said...

Stunning room Gabi. Its comfortable and beautiful.....

Laura Harwood said...

Yours was the only room that I truly loved Gabi.

With the others you pretty much tell they had been set up, but yours looked as if it had always been there.

You chose a great sofa to start with, and I love the way you dressed it with a sheepskin and the ethnic pillows.

Your choice of paintings balances the room nicely, the plant (I knew you'd get one in there!) adds a living breathing element, and rug pulls the whole room together beautifully.Well done for finding one that you could sit all of your furniture on - that really helps the looks cohesion.
I'd kill to have a go at this!

you have really done such a great job Gabi, I'm thrilled for you!!

Moon to Moon said...

Thank You so much for all your wonderfully supportive comments. It was such a magical day and would never have been possible without my readers and their kindness

xx

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

I am a long time follower too, and have been inspired by things you have shared, and found new ways to display items and collected from the makers you have featured. It seems absolutely perfect that Christie's would ask you to design a room. I love what you have done and would be happy to spend a lot of time there. The details make the room. Well done, and many congrats!

Unknown said...

I loved the room the moment I saw it but when I looked closer and realized the couch was from brazilian designer Lafer I was really in love with it. I adore your blog. Thanks for being such an inspiration.

Unknown said...

I like your room, you've made a great work! That sofa is unbelievable and pictures look amazing! Maybe you'll be interested in this website, they have really interesting frames ideas.

Unknown said...

Bless your heart. Such a warm and inviting room. You have so much talent and your posts inspire me. Thank you for the inspiration.